Wednesday, February 4, 2009

NICU

Being a NICU parent is something one never wants to be. Ever. It is something that changes your life for ever, you will never view anything the same after becoming a NICU parent. Pre-NICU is a part of your life you will never get back, it becomes a distant memory. The emotional roller coaster that a parent and families go through is something that one will never forget.

NICU moms are different. We just are. There is some kind of chemical change that happens in our brains as we sit confused and helpless over our naked babies lying in a warming bed, praying that they live. Your life changes, the way you view things change, your vocabulary changes, your emotional triggers change, and your 'normal' changes. You meet people with job titles you didn't even know existed, let alone know how to pronounce. You appreciate the little things, like holding your baby, getting to change them, feed them, and dress them.

You meet other parents, and think 'They were nice, but I really wish I hadn't met them'. And that's an ok thought to have, after all they just had the same thought about you.

My youngest son was in the NICU for 6 weeks and in the PICU (pediatric intensive care unit) for 1 week. It was by far the worst times of our lives. Sometimes I think back and have no idea how we made it through that time. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't re-live something that happened during that stay. And most days it brings tears to my eyes, weather it was a good thing or a bad thing.

I've started writing M2's story, it's to the left, it's a long story, but it's his story. I'll get it finished soon.

There were many people we met while at Children's, one family got to go home yesterday. Finally. It brought tears to my eyes when I heard. Heck, I'm crying now. Baby Isaiah was born on Dec 10, 2006. Yes, 2006, it's not a typo. He went home for the first time yesterday February 2, 2009. I can't imagine how they are feeling right now. 7 weeks was too long for me.

Shannon, Isaiah - God Bless you, enjoy being at home. I'm so happy for you and so glad that I got to meet you. I just wish the circumstances would have been different. Hope I never see you again!! (NICU mom's know, that last line isn't a bad thing!!)

5 comments:

Caitlin said...

7 weeks?! My word! I don't know how you survived it! And that poor family that was in the hospital for two years??!! I am so happy for them (and you) to have your little boys home safely where they belong!

Tiffany said...

My own experience with the NICU was so short. Too short. Painful, painful memories. But the staff who worked there were some of the best people anywhere. And yes, I hope to never see any of those nurses or Drs. again.

Sandy @ The Scoop on Balance said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for linking such a sweet post up to Isaiah. It's fun that Isaiah's world and the blog world unite!! :)

I, too, am a NICU mom...6 weeks.

Blessings,
Sandy
God Speaks Today

Kelley with Amy's Angels said...

My Godson, Spencer, was in the NICU for about 3 weeks before he got to go home. Now, he's 18 and a normal, healthy guy. It takes special people to work in the NICU as it is more than just babies--it's about working with the entire family!

Wow! Happy to hear that your friend and that they can go home!

Have a good Monday!! : )

Kristen said...

Sounds like you have your hands full.
Your M's are precious.

Good luck with your t-shirt quilt. I have only done the one, for a friend of a friend. It was lots of fun.